A steel utility vehicle designed for fully-loaded exploration, whether across town or across the country.
A Versatile All-Season Commuter Bike
If you’re like us, your bike needs likely change by the day, week, month or year. Quite the adaptable little beast, Ogre can get you to your job during the week, then way out of town on the weekend. It’s not sluggish on pavement or gravel and can also hold its own on singletrack.
Ogre is designed to be the ultimate steel utility vehicle. It relishes in those “take-the-long-way-home-and-find-some-beverages-along-the-way” sort of commutes. Snow, sleet or sweltering humidity, this is an ideal year-round commuter bike. You can also haul enough crap on it that you don’t even have to go home if you don’t want to.
- All the barnacles you could ever possibly ask for including rack and fender, multiple three-pack mounts and mid-blade.
- Gnot-Boost rear spacing with Rohloff torque arm slot and Bill/Ted trailer mount
- Clearance for 29” x 2.5” or 27.5" x 2.8" tires with fenders
- 4/5 with Off Road Off Road: 4 out of 5
- 5/5 with Bikepacking Bikepacking: 5 out of 5
- 4/5 with Pavement Touring Pavement Touring: 4 out of 5
- 4/5 with Tire Clearance Tire Clearance: 4 out of 5
- 4/5 with Commuting Commuting: 4 out of 5
NOTE: You can ride your bike wherever the hell you want, but this is what we think this bike is best at.
#ogre Image Dump
Tag your Instagram Images with #SurlyMakeItYourOwn and your bike may show up here.
This is a carousel that displays an Instagram feed of Surly bikes. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate.
Where to Buy
- 100% Surly Chromoly Steel, Natch tubing, double-butted main triangle, TIG welded, E.D. coated
- 100% Surly Chromoly Steel, Natch tubing, double-butted tapered fork blades, TIG welded, E.D. coated
- Seatpost Clamp
- Surly Stainless 30.0
- Cane Creek
- Avid BB5
- Brake Levers
- Tektro FR5
- Microshift SL-M9605 Trail Pro
- Kalloy 31.8
- Salsa Bend
- Velo Black
- WTB Volt
- ProMax 27.2x300
- SRAM NX 32t
- Bottom Bracket
- SRAM Powerspline
- Front Derailleur
- Rear Derailleur
- Microshift RD-M6205 with Clutch
- Cog or cogset
- OE 10-spd 11-48t
- KMC X10
- Front Hub
- Novatec 9x100 QR, 6-bolt disc
- Rear Hub
- Novatec 12x142 QR, 6-bolt disc
- WTB i29
- Surly ExtraTerrestrial 29x2.5" 60tpi, Tubeless Ready
Complete bike spec subject to change
Select a few bike sizes to compare.
|Reach||15.6 395.5||16.2 410.5||16.8 427.6||17.6 447|
|Stack||23.3 592||23.8 603.4||24.1 613||24.9 632|
|Head Tube Angle||71.5°||72.0°||72.0°||72.0°|
|Head Tube Length||4.3 110||4.7 120||5.1 130||5.9 150|
|Seat Tube Length||16.0 406.4||18.0 457.2||20.0 508||22.0 558|
|BB Drop||2.7 68||2.7 68||2.7 68||2.7 68|
|Wheelbase||41.3 1049.4||41.9 1064.5||42.7 1084.6||43.7 1110|
|Chainstay Length||17.3 440||17.3 440||17.3 440||17.3 440|
|Top Tube Length, Actual||21.5 545.6||22.1 560.7||22.8 580.2||23.9 607|
|Top Tube Length, Effective||22.6 575||23.4 595||24.2 615||25.2 640|
|Seat Tube Angle||73.0°||73.0°||73.0°||73.0°|
|Standover Height||30.1 763.5||31.3 795.7||32.5 824.5||33.8 857.85|
|Stem Length||2.8 70||3.1 80||3.5 90||3.9 100|
|Handlebar Width||27.6 700||29.1 740||29.1 740||29.1 740|
|Crank Length||6.7 170||6.9 175||6.9 175||69 175|
|Fork Length||17.6 447||17.6 447||17.6 447||17.6 447|
|Fork Rake||1.7 43||1.7 43||1.7 43||1.7 43|
- Frame Construction
4130 Chromoly, Natch tubing, double-butted main triangle, TIG welded, ED coated
- Fork Construction
4130 Chromoly, Natch tubing, double-butted tapered fork blades, TIG welded, ED coated
- Rear Dropout Configuration
Horizontal slotted with optional vertical dumpout
- Rear Hub Spacing
12 x 142mm or 12 x 148mm (axle included)
10 x 135mm with Surly 10/12 Adapter Washers (not included)
- Front Hub Spacing
10 x 100mm
- Rear Brake
Disc - 51mm I.S. (160mm max rotor) 
Rim - Canti (removable posts)"
- Front Brake
Disc - 51mm I.S. (203mm max rotor)
- Head Tube
- Steerer Tube
- Crown Race
- Stock Headset Upper (S.H.I.S.)
- Stock Headset Lower (S.H.I.S.)
- Seat Collar
- Front Derailleur (Clamp)
High direct mount top-pull (Ø31.8mm)
26mm offset adapter (not included) for 142 or 135mm rear hub spacing
29mm offset adapter (not included) for 148mm rear hub spacing
- Max Chainring (CL)
1x (Mtn): 42T
2x (Mtn): 34/46T
3x (Mtn): 24/36/48T
1x (Boost): 46T
2x (Boost): 42/48T
- Bottom Bracket
73mm threaded (1.37" x 24TPI)
- Tire Clearance Frame /
27.5 x 3.0” (27.5 x 2.8" with fenders)
29 x 2.6" (29 x 2.5" with fenders)
- Tire Clearance Fork 
27.5 x 3.0" (w/o fenders) 27.5 x 2.8" (w/ fenders)
29 x 2.6" (w/o fenders) 29 x 2.5" (w/ fenders)
- Rigid Fork Spec
447 x 43mm
- Max Suspension Fork Length 
- Bottle Mounts Frame
2 Three-Pack (XS)
1 Standard + 2 Three-Pack (S - XL)
- Bottle Mounts Fork
- Rack Mounts Frame
Yes (upper and lower threaded)
- Rack Mounts Fork
Yes (upper, lower, and mid-blade threaded)
- Fender Mounts Frame
- Fender Mounts Fork
- Other Features
Dedicated Rohloff cable routing and mount for OEM 2 axle plate
Dedicated Surly Trailer mounts
 Different tire and rim combinations will result in different clearances.
 Depending on drivetrain configuration, tire clearance may be limited by the chain and not frame.
 Listed chainring clearance is worst case scenario. Clearances vary widely depending on components and configurations.
 N/A Non-suspension correct frame
 Rear disc brake requires Surly’s proprietary brake mount adapter.
FAQ & Reviews
This Surly product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for three years from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
This warranty does NOT cover the following:
- Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assembler
- Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
- Installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with bicycle as sold
- Damage or deterioration to the paint, surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product
- Normal wear and tear
- Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Surly, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Surly product and is not transferrable. This warranty applies only to products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Surly be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein.
This limited warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This limited warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.