Bikes. Parts. Chaos.

Dirt Burger was this past weekend.  This was the second installment of what we hope are many, hosted by Sov and his firefighter homies of Decorah, Iowa.  I wasn't supposed to be there at all, but at 6:00 on Friday morning, as I was getting ready for work, my loving wife came to me and in her endearing sleepy-eyed bleariness, gave me the green light.  Within minutes I was packing my camping gear and biking stuff.  I phoned Reverend Jim at 6:30 but he was still asleep, and Fleck's last known correspondence had been at 3:09 a.m., so I knew I'd have to wait a while until any movement would occur.  After brewing coffee Jim called me back and said that they would not be ready to roll out until around 10:30 or so.  This was good because I needed more time to prepare and chill out with the wife and kids.

It turned out that we did not hit the road until noon-ish.  The drive from MSP to Decorah is only around 3 hours, so this would work out just fine.  As we were still around 45 minutes from Decorah I received a text from Sov which read, "I'm two beers in at checkpoint alpha.  This thing is on."  By the time we arrived he was more like four of five beers in, and was acting more like the Sov we all know and love.

We shared a beer with him and then staked out our camping spots.  As we were pitching tents more folks rolled in, like Fiona and Chewy, Pieplow and Dirty Cop.

And then a couple of beers later a VW bus driven by Nate rolls in and guess who's riding in the passenger seat?

Nick Fu%king Sande!

He flew in from Portland and managed to keep it a total secret. 

More folks rolled in...

Then Chewy took some of us on a ride up on Palisades, which was a steep, rocky, rooty trail that was as fun as the day is long.  It was the perfect way to forget the monotonous drive down.  I was so stoked to ride that I forgot to bring my camera, but I did take this photo of some very pale Minnesotans bathing in the river post-ride.  This one is for the ladies.

By this time we were all getting hungry, so we hopped on our bikes for T-Bock's, where we proceeded to offend just about everyone we came across and then some. 

Note the expression on the face of one very impressionable young man in the background as several grown men examine their nose hair.

In this establishment it is customary to throw peanut shells on the floor.  Throwing peanuts into each others mouths from across the bar?  Consider it a new Dirt Burger custom.

After dinner we swervily rode back to camp.

Once there we proceeded to burn stuff and relax.  At midnight the local cops showed up and told us we couldn't have a fire within city limits, so a bunch of the yahoos loaded up firewood and beer and proceeded to proceed to a place where they could.  Not me, however.  I was destined to lay down in my tent and get some sleep. 

On Saturday after breakfast a group of around 10 did an epic trail ride, which was the perfect way to get the blood and sweat flowing.  After the ride it was my time to head home, and thus ends my story of Dirt Burger 2010. 

From what others have told me Saturday night and Sunday were even better, but I'll just have to take their word for it. 

More pictures on our flickr.