Minister of World Cyclo-Domination
Where did you grow up?
West-by-god-Virginia and Tennessee
What are your interests/hobbies?
Eastern philosophy, single malt, jet lag, bikes, writing, BBQ, interpersonal dynamics, beer, fountain pens, fire, the contemplation of suffering, wool, birds, structural modifications, hosting parties, straight razor shaving, dramatic weather, essential oils, canoeing, living well in the out-of-doors, studying water, wearing kilts, cooking, travel, German engineering, woodworking, hats, sleeping, and teaching my kids the value of riding circles in empty parking lots.
Who do you think you are, anyway?
I am a guy who has been lucky to make a living working in and around companies that make kickass gear to help accomplish the things I love to do.
Give me your top ten factoids about yourself that others may not realize.
- OK. Let’s get it straight. Artificial eyes are no longer made of glass.
- I fell a lot as a kid. I was stitched up so many times by age 3 that authorities questioned my parents’ care. Poor timing and gravity were the real culprits. I keep these enemies close to this day.
- I watched our house burn down when I was a kid. That pretty much sucked
- I was elected “True Gentleman” by my senior classmates. I also used hair products back then.
- My closet houses a modest collection of Harris tweed garments.
Yes, a few have leather elbow pads.
- I like to hone all manner of cutting tools. I don’t think that’s
- Phil Raitt and I have the same birthday, except he’s old(er).
- I lived out of a backpack for three months while hiking a portion
of the Appalachian Trail. In other words, I speak hacky sack, bro.
- My past jobs have run the gamut from third-shift milker on a dairy farm to announcer at a classical public radio station.
- Even a miserable bike ride never fails to remind me how magical it is to pedal my duff from point A to B.
- Look how much cooler this list is now that it goes to ELEVEN.
Who or what influences your thinking and behavior and why?
Alcohol, duh! Oh … shit … is this thing on?
For the most part, I like people. I’ll spare you the touchy-feely or overly analytical; no absence of self, no interdependence. Suffice it to say I dig discourse with its myriad levels of tone, volume, and animation. I appreciate a well-crafted argument, even if agreement is optional. I don’t so much like self-important jerks, but I like to remember we all wear the ass-hat from time to time. I glean little nuggets of knowledge and wisdom from the most unlikely sources. I enjoy learning.
No, I didn’t just make up some stuff. Honest. Have you seen my beer?
What would you say your job is around here?
I’m like the rug that really ties the room together.
One sentence to say what you want to say. Go.
Should a parent be alarmed if her/his child wants to be a mercenary at 7 years old?